Sunday, February 9, 2014

Modern Spin BOM February

Hi all!

Two blocks today! They're super simple yet have striking results. One is all half square triangles, the other is strip pieced.

Here's the first one: Annie's Choice



You'll need (8) 4" squares of background fabric and (8) 4" squares of print fabric.



There are several ways to make half square triangles. I'm in the cut it a little bit bigger and trim down to square it up camp. So I usually go with an inch larger than what I want my finished piece to be. In this case, I want a 3" finished hst unit, so I cut my squares to 4". Technically, if you can rock the perfect 1/4" seam, you can cut everything to 3 7/8" and be done with it. For me, I hate measuring to the 1/8th inch and I'm not always perfect on that 1/4" seam. So, I go big and trim.

Draw a diagonal line on the back of all of your background pieces (I use a ruler and mechanical pencil.) Match each of these up with a print square, right sides together. Sew a 1/4 inch seam on each side of the diagonal line. Cut units in half on the line. Press open (I press to the dark side) and then trim to 3 1/2".



Lay your blocks out like this:



Sew in rows then in columns and you're done!

Next block: Basket weave



Cut strips 1.5" wide x wof (width of fabric)

Cut 3  from fabric A
Cut 3 from fabric B



Sew together strip sets: ABA  then BAB.



Press seams to the darker fabric. Sub cut these strips to 3.5" units. You should cut 8 units from each strip set.

Arrange your blocks like this:




Sew in rows and columns and you're finished! Two more blocks!

Here's what mine look like so far:



Thanks for sewing with me. See you next month!

2 comments:

  1. I do not know how to express the level of hatred I harbor toward the dreaded basket weave block.

    ReplyDelete